UIDAI Aadhaar Services
Generate Virtual ID (VID) Number @ uidai.gov.in
Generate/Retrieve UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) Aadhaar Virtual ID Number at uidai.gov.in. 16 digit VID (Virtual ID) unique number is mandatory for residents so that people do not make their 12 digit Aadhaar number (biometric identity) public but instead from privacy and security point of view citizens can register their 16 digit VID (Virtual ID) number on www.uidai.gov.in You can generate VID using Virtual ID.
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has assigned a 16-digit unique Virtual Identification (VID) number to every resident. People will no longer need to provide the 12-digit Aadhaar or biometric identification number. They can create VID only on UIDAI portal and use it anywhere. This will replace Aadhaar numbers for Virtual ID authentication and KYC purposes. This UIDAI Aadhaar service will keep the Aadhaar database secure.
The 16 digit Virtual ID will solve Aadhaar individual privacy concerns and keep the database secure. This Aadhaar service can be used to replace biometric ID in purchasing a new SIM, changing SIM, using banking services, making a passport, etc. The 16 digit VID is revocable and will expire after a certain period. Virtual ID limits the collection and storage of personal and demographic data of all Aadhaar holders.
Features of UIDAI Virtual ID
Following are some of the key features of UIDAI Virtual ID (VID):-
- Virtual ID is a temporary random number which is 16 digits long. It will only report the name, address and pictures to other authorized bodies (such as Virtual ID mobile companies).
- There is no limit for creating REAL ID. Any number of IDs can be generated.
- After creating a new ID, the old ID gets automatically cancelled.
- Acceptance of Virtual ID will become mandatory by the Central Government from June 1, 2018 for all entities that use Aadhaar card.
- A revocable 16 digit number will be printed on the individual’s Aadhaar number. Accordingly, from March 1, 2018, the Aadhaar issuing entity will start accepting this data.
- People can use this number for authentication and KYC services.
- After this, this number will remain valid until the user changes it.
- Candidates can create this ID themselves on the computer. This ID cannot be made to any other institution on behalf of the Aadhaar holder.
- UIDAI has also introduced a “Limited KYC” system. UIDAI will not give limited information about its users to any unauthorized entity (providing special services).
- Moreover, if any agency is unable to adopt this new concept within the stipulated time frame, it will be paid a monetary penalty.
- Now UIDAI has started directing all concerned bodies to follow this virtual ID.
Benefits of UIDAI Virtual ID (VID)
Any resident is allowed to create any number of Virtual IDs (VIDs). When a new Virtual ID (VID) is generated, the previous Virtual ID (VID) will be automatically canceled. This is an additional option for KYC services and authentication, which remains valid until the user changes it.
Agencies cannot use VID for de-duplication as it is Virtual ID (VID) in use like Aadhaar number. Privacy and security of Aadhar card holders will be provided by this latest Virtual ID (VID) number system. UIDAI has so far issued 119 crore Aadhaar Cards across the country, the security and confidentiality of which is mandatory.
Generate 16 Digit Virtual ID Number
The complete process to generate/retrieve Virtual ID is specified step by step below:-
Step 1: First of all go to the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India given below:
Step 2: On the homepage, click on the link “Virtual ID (VID) Generator” under “Aadhaar Services” sub-section under “My Aadhaar” section.
Step 3: Now after clicking on Virtual ID (VID) Generator, the page of UIDAI will be displayed in front of you. As shown in the image below:-
Step 4: Now in the page displayed above, you will have to click on the “Login” option, after which a new page of Login will be displayed in front of you. As shown in the image below:-
Step 5: Now in this displayed page you will have to enter your 12 digit “Aadhaar Number” and after filling the “Captcha Code” you will have to click on the “Send OTP” button. After this, an OTP will come on your registered mobile number which you will have to enter in this page and after entering, you will have to click on the “Login” button. As shown in the image below:-
Step 6: Now a new page will be displayed here in which you will have to click on the option of “Generate Virtual ID”. As shown in the image below:-
Step 7: After clicking on Generate Virtual ID, a new page will be displayed in front of you. As shown in the image below:-
Step 8: Now after selecting Generate VID on this page, you will have to click on the Next button. Now a new page will be displayed in front of you in which your 16 digit Virtual ID (VID) will be shown. As shown in the image below:-
Virtual ID (VID) – Privacy & Security of Aadhaar Card / Database
To address the privacy concerns of Aadhaar users, UIDAI has launched an entirely new Virtual ID concept. Now Aadhaar holders can get this 16 digit automated number by visiting UIDAI website. This is why the Aadhaar number will be transferred for Virtual ID authentication and KYC purposes. This Virtual ID will be the security shield to protect the Aadhaar database.
Now people can use a 16-digit Virtual ID, which also includes SIM verification. Now people can use it to share 12 digits of their biometric ID (Aadhaar number). According to this, this will give people the option of not giving their Aadhaar number.
UIDAI has initiated this idea to ensure the privacy and security of Aadhaar database. Collection and storage of personal and demographic data of Aadhaar holders will also be limited by the move.